Food to feed your whole family!

Friday, May 16, 2008

Friday Night Pizza

Friday night pizza is a tradition in our house. Until now we chose whatever company could deliver it fastest. Tonight, our recent job loss forced me to figure out how to save money while keeping our pizza tradition. This sent me straight to my sister's site Burnt Toast to find the pizza dough recipe that she had been raving about. I'm so glad I did. Just like her husband, my husband likes traditional pizza...red sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. However I like to experiment with my toppings and sauces. We made individual pizzas so that we could each have what we liked. My son is visiting Nana tonight, but if he were here I'm sure he would have eaten a little of each!

Before adding to dough recipe I wanted to add a little warning...make the edges a little thicker than the rest of the pizza or your toppings will slide off!






Here is the recipe for the crust taken from EasyPizzaCrusts.com.

No Yeast Pizza Crust
Source: EasyPizzaCrusts.com

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp cooking oil


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pizza pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add liquids and stir to incorporate dry ingredients. Knead dough by hand 6-8 times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough thinly. Place rolled dough onto prepared pizza pan, add favorite sauce and toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, depending on crust thickness.

I added 1/2 tsp. garlic powder to the dough to flavor the crust a little. And we put some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) on the crust to keep it from soaking up the sauce.

My husband's pizza was topped with pizza sauce (yes, I took some help from the store on that one), shredded mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. He said it was great.

To top my pizza I mixed 8 oz. cream cheese, softened, 1 large can shredded chicken, drained, and 2 cloves of finely grated garlic. I found out that this made way more than I needed for my small pizza. In fact, I would recommend spreading only a thin layer on the pizza...I put way too much on mine and it was overpowering. I also topped it with a mixture of shredded mozzarella, parmesan and swiss.

When it came out of the oven I added chopped cilantro that I have been growing!





My white pizza was good but not the best pizza I've had. I'll definately make it again trying new toppings!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Your pot of herbs looks great! And I'm glad you guys liked the dough recipe. You definitely have to leave an edge so the toppings don't go everywhere. :) I look forward to seeing what tops your pizza next!